I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare, and I dare a little more as I grow older. ~Michel de Montaigne
- “Industrial Entrepreneurship in Bengal”. In: Sirajul Islam (Ed.), History of Bangladesh, Vol.2 (Economic History), Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka, 1992, pp. 428-485.
- “Studies in Economic Development of Bangladesh: The Post-Independence Years”, In: Anthology of Essays, Bangla Academy, Dhaka, May 1992, pp. 85-115 (in Bangla).
- “Capitalist Transformation of the Rural Economy: Some Aspects of Marxist Debate in Bangladesh”, Samaj Nirikkhon, Vol. 32, Centre for Social Studies, Dhaka, May 1989, pp. 1-33 (in Bangla).
- Modernization at Bay: Structure and Change in Bangladesh, University Press Ltd., Dhaka, 1991, 159p (with Abu Abdullah, Rita Afsar and Atiur Rahman).
- “Reform in China: Economic and Ideological Aspects”, Samaj Nirikkhon, Vol. 48, Centre for Social Studies, Dhaka, May 1993, pp. 1-21 (in Bangla).
- “Exploring the Property Rights: Some Reflections on the Agenda for Public Enterprise Reform in Bangladesh”, Journal of Social Studies, Vol. 60, Centre for Social Studies, Dhaka, April 1993, pp. 34-44.
- Moneylenders and Informal Financial Markets: Insights from Haor Areas of Rural Bangladesh, BIDS Research Report No. 100, BIDS, Dhaka, May 1989, 139p.