I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare, and I dare a little more as I grow older. ~Michel de Montaigne
- “Conservative outlook, gender norms and female wellbeing: Evidence from rural Bangladesh”, World Development, 111 (2018) 41–58, June 2018 (with Tanima Ahmed).
- “Women’s Empowerment, Maternal Nutrition and Chronic Poverty: Further Evidence from Bangladesh”, The Bangladesh Development Studies, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 2, June 2015 (with Sharifa Begum).
- “Do Water and Sanitation Interventions Reduce Childhood Diarrhoea? New Evidence from Bangladesh”, The Bangladesh Development Studies, Vol. XXXIV, No. 3, September 2011 (with Sharifa Begum and Mansur Ahmed).
- “Maternal Health, Child Well-Being and Chronic Poverty: Does Women’s Agency Matter?”, The Bangladesh Development Studies, Vol. XXXII, No. 4, December 2009 (with Sharifa Begum).
- “Spatial Inequality in Social Progress in Bangladesh”, The Bangladesh Development Studies, Vol. XXXII, No. 2, June 2009 (with Zulfiqar Ali).
- “Causes of Fertility Decline in India and Bangladesh: The Role of Community”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 37, No. 43, October 26, 2002 (with Mahendra Dev and K.S. James).
- “Growth, Poverty and Human Development” in Rounaq Jahan (ed.), Bangladesh: Promise and Performance, University Press Ltd, Dhaka, 2000 (also published from the Zed Press, London).
- “Health and Poverty in Bangladesh“, World Health, No. 5, September-October 1997, pp. 28-29 (with S. Acharya).